Log in
Log in


ABN 30 152 579 238  ACN / ARBN 152 579 238

"There's more to thermography than meets the eye!"


Do I need to do a course to be able to do reporting?
The Australian Standard for certification of thermographers AS/ISO18436-7 states that a category 1 certified thermographer is capable of recording Thermal images and report on the images, but does NOT prepare reports on the state of the plant on which they are performing the thermographic survey. So you can write about the image and the colours in the image (anomalies), but not actually determine if there is something wrong (there is a fault), and how the problem can be remedied (recommendations). You MAY be able to use your electrical knowledge and suggest if there are faults and prepare recommendations, as an electrician (so basically take off your thermographer hat, end then put on your electrician hat – and suggest repair methods to the client).

Will insurance companies need me to be qualified to do reports?
More and more insurance companies demand that the thermographer holds certification to AS/ISO18436.7 and has been certified by AINDT according to that standard.

How long are the courses and is there mandatory on field training needed to get certification?
The minimum training hours are 32 for CAT1 thermographer, and you need to have 12 months experience with at least 16 hours on site camera work per month.

Do you need to be a qualified electrician to do switchboard scanning?
No you do not need to be a qualified electrician to perform “switchboard surveys” – it is up to the client to decide who can perform their surveys. However, work on electrical plant is only to be carried out by electricians. Under most jurisdictions this would mean that personnel involved in removing/replacing escutcheon panels must hold a valid electrical license, even if the inspector is not required to be an electrician. If in doubt you should check with the relevant regulator for your state.

Will I need insurances (public liability etc)?
Yes, most companies (clients) require $10mil public and product liability insurance at a minimum, and many will require $20mil. You may also be required to hold professional indemnity insurance if you are providing "professional advice". If in doubt you should consult with your insurance broker or adviser.

Will I need a high risk activity SWMS in NSW and have to be kitted up in arc flash gear to scan?
The client may have a minimum arc flash PPE requirement which you may need to follow. If someone else is opening switchboards and removing panels, the thermographers job may be able to be completed from outside the arc flash boundary – in which case there would be no requirement above general PPE (possibly including safety glasses, hardhat, and long sleeve/pants arc rated to some specific value).

You should at all times be aware of what voltages you are working with and the protection and arc rating as far as possible.

This component is generally worked around the preparation of the JSA, and requirements can be vary considerably from site to site and between different jurisdictions. Due regard should also be paid to AS4836:2011 "Safe working on or near low voltage electrical installations and equipment" and ENA-NENS 09-2014 "National guideline for the selection, use and maintenance of personal protective equipment for electrical arc hazards".

Call us:

1300 084 982


PO Box 3154

Asquith, NSW 2077

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software